Ways to pay your Council Tax

You can pay your Council Tax using the following methods:

  • direct debit
  • online
  • telephone
  • open portal Council Tax

Direct debit

The simplest and most convenient way to pay is by direct debit.

Your payments can be spread over ten or 12 months from April and you can choose to set up your instalments to pay on the 1st, 8th, 15th, 21st or 28th of each month.

Once the direct debit has been set up, you’ll receive a bill listing the instalment amounts.

If you choose to pay over ten months on the 1st of the month, then the first payment will be in May and the last payment in February.  If you pay on any other date then payments will start in April and finish in January.

Change your payment method.

Online payments

Our online payments service is provided by Civicapay on behalf of the council. It’s easy to use and available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pay your council tax

Pay by telephone

You can pay over the phone using a credit or debit card. Call 0300 456 0478 and select the correct option. You’ll need to enter your billing/reference number. 

Make sure you have:

  • your debit / credit card number
  • your Council Tax account number
  • the amount you wish to pay
  • a pen to record the transaction number

Open portal Council Tax

View your Council Tax details including charges, reductions and payments with our secure access open portal Council Tax system. There’s also an option to receive electronic bills.

You’ll need to register by emailing council.tax@newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk with the subject open portal. In the email, let us know your full name and the address where you’re registered to pay council tax.

The benefits of e-billing via the open-portal are:

  • you receive your bill as soon as it's available
  • you will always know where your bill is
  • it saves printing, sorting and postage costs which is ultimately passed on to you as a resident
  • you still have the option to download and print the bill if you want to
  • each person named on the bill can receive their own copy
  • it's free to use.

Your future Council Tax bills will be sent in electronic form to open access and you will be sent an email advising you that there is a bill ready for you to view

Moving home

If you’re moving into a new property in the district, register for Council Tax by completing our online form.

If you’re moving out of the district or within the district let us know, so we can amend your account, by completing our moving out online form.

Alternatively, if you move within Newark and Sherwood you can also amend your details on your open portal Council Tax account.