Anti social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is behaviour which causes nuisance, harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people in different households. It can affect anyone at any time and is often deeply threatening to our sense of safety.

Together with our community safety partners, we’re committed to stamping out anti-social behaviour throughout the district.

Types of behaviour that may affect you include:

  • graffiti
  • litter
  • verbal abuse
  • noise nuisance
  • rowdy or intimidating groups
  • untidy properties and gardens
  • drug dealing
  • drinking alcohol in the street
  • begging
  • irresponsible dog ownership

Reporting anti-social behaviour

You can speak to the ASB team, in confidence, about any issues or concerns you may have. To register an ASB complaint contact us or use the online ASB reporting form.

If you live in a council property, or to report someone who does, contact the Tenancy Enforcement Team by emailing or by calling 01636 650 000.

If you live in a rented property, please make your landlord aware of the problem you’re experiencing first.

Tackling anti-social behaviour

There are different tools and powers the council and its partners can use to tackle anti-social behaviour. You can find out more about these in our ASB Policy 2021 to 2024 (PDF File, 669kb).

However, for us to be able to use these powers we need help from you to gather evidence about the anti-social behaviour you are experiencing.

You should keep a diary of incidents as they happen, writing down dates and times and noting the exact sequence of events and exact words used.  If you would like a diary sheet please contact us.

Contacting the police

Some people are afraid to speak to the police, because they fear being identified and targeted. Our ASB team will treat your information in confidence, but you should be aware that it may be necessary for us to share the information you provide us with our partners for your complaint to be dealt with more efficiently.

If a crime is in progress or life is in danger, you should dial 999. To report non-urgent anti-social behaviour contact the police on 101.

Tackling hate crime

Actions towards another person which are considered motivated by hostility or prejudice of that person's identity is a hate crime and will be dealt with by the police, however, we are able to assist with tackling hate crime with the use of the Anti social behaviour crime and policing act 2014.

Find out more about the powers we have under this act and how we use them to help you in our anti social behaviour leaflet (PDF File, 259kb)

For more information and advice about hate crime and how the police can assist, visit the Nottinghamshire Police website or contact us.

Help for victims of ASB

If you have been a victim of anti-social behaviour and need help to recover, contact Nottinghamshire Victim Care. They recognise that people have different needs when trying to recover from an ordeal and offer a range of services and support to help.

You can also request a multi-agency review of your case through the Community Trigger scheme.